Otters Class - Year 1
Welcome to Otters Class page
Hi Otters Class,
I have attached the otters class activity pack including the letter to parents, suggested timetable and useful links to websites and where to find the log in details. I have also included year 1 common exception words, and phase 2, 3 and 5 sound mats to support children's spelling.
Just for some more information, here are some websites which may be of interest:
The World of David Williams is releasing an audio story from The World’s Worst Children every day for the next 30 days.
Amazon has cancelled the subscription of books and audio stories for children, all stories are free to stream on your desktop, laptop, phone or tablet using the following link:
This is a link with lots of curriculum based websites to have a browse of:
To keep yourself fit during your time at home, have a go at joining in with Joe Wicks daily P.E. sessions on his YouTube channel from 9:00- 9:30 am or try Cosmic yoga for a more gentle exercise
This could be a good opportunity for you and your whole family to join in and keep moving.
For a maths challenge, White rose have prepared series of lessons for each year group and they will be adding more as the weeks go on. Every lesson comes with a short video showing you how to complete the activity.
Another fun activity is write to a pen pal. It is very difficult to see your friends at the moment so why don't you stay in contact by writing them a letter. You can tell your friend all about what activities you have been doing at home with your family and share fun ideas. Once you have written your letter, you can go and post it through their letter box during your allowed one walk a day. But remember, you are writing to your friend which means you need to write as neatly as you can and think carefully about your spelling otherwise they will not be able to read it.
This is a great opportunity for you to practise your writing and for you to safely and responsibly get some exercise.
Please remember, there are some important things to remember during this time:
You must follow all the governments guidelines with regards to leaving your home! You must stay 2 metres apart from anybody that you do not live with when you are outside your house and you must wash your hands before you leave your house and again when you return, to keep yourself safe. You are only allowed to leave your house once a day and please do not do this activity if you feel uncomfortable.
The weather is so beautiful so please make the most of the fun activities that you can do outside in your gardens such as:
- Make some art using natural materials
- Build a rocket out of junk modelling and see if you can launch it with water and a bicycle pump
- Build a giant snakes and ladders game and play with your family
- Practice capacity by measuring some water in jugs and watering the plants
- Plant some seeds in your garden and look after them every day. Use your knowledge of the plant experiments we have done in Otters class to make sure the plant gets everything it needs to survive
- Build a den and write down some den rules that everybody has to follow. (Can you make this work as beautiful as your writing in school?)
- Write a song or make up a dance routine and perform it in front of your family. Can you write your song down?
- Count/ make a tally of all the living things in your garden (plants and animals) and see if you can name them.
Thank you and stay safe,